In this work, G&S thoroughly examine the components of school culture, the processes leaders can use to effectively determine current states, and propose numerous practical strategies by which school leaders can positively impact school culture. The assertions and advice offered in this book will also aptly guide leaders of other types of organizations.
My biggest takeaways:
- The building blocks of school culture: climate, mission & vision, language, humor, routines/rituals/ceremonies, norms, roles, symbols, stories, heroes, and values/beliefs.
- We, individually, represent the average of the five people we spend the most time with.
- School culture typologies: Collaborative, Comfortable-collaborative, Contrived-collegial, Balkanized, Fragmented, and Toxic.
- Culture is shaped by the worst behavior that leaders are willing to tolerate.
- The best offense is one that doesn't energize the enemy's defense.
- Influencing is a lifestyle, not a hobby.
My favorite quote:
“Cultures manage people; it takes people to lead people.” (p. 149)
A good read for those hoping to move organizations toward a better future.