The book was a quick read, full of concrete ideas and suggestions on how to improve our presentation skills and move audiences. AK did a nice job of organizing the book and provided excellent supporting examples for his ideas and suggestions.
Some of the big takeaways for me:
- Start presentations with an interesting/compelling story.
- Analogies/similes/metaphors are very powerful tools for engaging audiences.
- Use powerful images and few words (large font) on presentation slides.
- The best speeches are those that are experienced by the audience, not just heard by the audience.
- Great stories have these elements: Colorful characters, a Conflict, a Cure for the conflict, a Change in characters as result of the conflict, and a Carryout message.
My first encounter with AK's work/thinking. Glad I read it. Now it's time to start implementing some of his ideas.