Talent is not created by us; rather, it is a gift of birth, which comes in a billion varieties. Every team member has some kind of talent, and many of them have multiple talents.
As leaders we must:
- Identify the talent(s) of those within our circle of influence
- Help those folks understand, and understand the value of, their precious gifts
- Create the conditions in which our teammates can exercise their talents
- Encourage a continuous "polishing" of those talents
- Celebrate and affirm the successful use of those talents
In effect, we should be talent boosters. Which, by the way, is a pretty cool job!