The book is a nice compendium of the ways we send and receive messages through our voice, behaviors, and body language.
The big takeaways for me from this reading were:
- LISTENING is the most powerful tool we have at our disposal in the communications tool chest.
- Transparency and disclosure are excellent door openers to high quality communications.
- Body language is at least as important as oral delivery.
- Assertiveness can be expressed without being aggressive.
- Employing validation strategies serves all parties in the communications contexts well.
- All of us engage others from the basis of our own experiences. Trying to understand the other's experiences fully is an excellent starter for improved communications.
- Quality questions always a good conversation starter, regardless of the kind of communications environment in which we find ourselves.
A good read. Worth the time (again).