Here are some strategies that promote authentic discourse, in the interest of actually solving complex problems:
- Enter such conversations with a curious mind - suspending our preconceived notions and striving mightily to understand our own assumptions/biases.
- Ask deep, open, and probing questions (not those designed to be position statements).
- LISTEN to the responses of others (and ourselves) - with our ears, with our eyes, with our minds.
Here are some strategies that virtually ensure that complex problems DON'T get solved:
- Make others feel stupid or devalued.
- Keep others from expressing their viewpoint/thoughts.
- Use diversionary tactics that turn focus toward things/issues other than the problem at hand.
As always, we get to choose...
Note: Complex problems rarely have simple solutions.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.