It seems we also benefit from having some "comfort friends."
Here's what they look/feel like:
- They seem to be fully aware of our flaws, but somehow see through them.
- They are honest with us, but gently so.
- They amazingly have the ability to forgive us, repeatedly.
- They listen to us a little more deeply than others do.
- They don't make our friendship a (con)test.
- They allow us to deactivate our defense shields.
- They exhibit toward us something more akin to "love" than "like."
The hang is always easy.