Regardless of our title or role, we can serve as a stimulant in the workplace through some very simple and cost-free behaviors:
- Honor what's important to others, whether it's important to us or not.
- Know the people we work with, call them by name, exhibit care for their wellbeing.
- Be transparent and open in our interactions (no secrets, no subterfuge).
- Notice and celebrate the small victories/successes.
- Always communicate with courtesy and professionalism.
- Ask others questions about themselves, then listen (too much and too intently).
- Express gratitude relentlessly.
- Have high and well-articulated expectations for all, and even higher ones for ourselves.
One word kinda captures the whole enchilada - respect. Treating others respectfully always makes others feel (and usually act) better, and it almost always makes us feel (and usually act) better, too.
Respectfulness is the stimulant that keeps on giving.