Thus, some key guiding principles can have positive and immeasurable impact when we follow them:
- Words seem able to hurt FAR easier than they heal; use them negatively with extreme caution.
- Criticism never plays well (especially when uninvited).
- Apologies are extremely hard to carry off with authenticity and sincerity.
- Speak with brevity, speak with precision.
- Judiciously match tone and body language to the message (mixed signals are bad signals).
- Thought provoking questions are a most powerful use of words.
- Think first; pain, anger, confusion typically follow thoughtlessly delivered words.
- Listening well always trumps talking well.
- If in doubt, stop talking.
We make the world a better place when we wisely abide by these word rules.