So, what do organizations that are "whine vaccinated" look/feel/smell like?
- Their culture is built around EVERYONE owning the problems perceived, and EVERYONE being responsible for trying to improve upon them (not just report them).
- Venting is allowed, but should always be declared as such, and accompanied by possible solutions.
- They constantly build into their thinking an IMPORTANT VS URGENT barometer where the important always trumps the urgent (unless safety is involved).
- They live, breathe, and act upon the belief that perfection is not the goal, getting better, everyday, on purpose, IS.
- They systemically notice and acknowledge and celebrate efforts at getting better - no matter how small.
Organizations are defined as anything from a single family to a small business to a multinational corporation. We're all part of several, and each one lies somewhere on that sick-to-healthy continuum.
Whiners make sick organizations sicker; healthy organizations make whiners scarcer.