The difference in Gurus and Charlatans is more often in the delivery than in the substance. Most of us have a few of those Yoda-type Gurus whose insight is highly sought (and even occasionally heeded).
What often has the effect of fingernails scratching along a chalkboard is advice that is unsolicited. Yet, the Charlatans feel compelled to continue to spew their advice broadly and pervasively.
As one of my mentors is fond of saying, "Everyone has an opinion; I prefer the informed ones." Amen!
My most highly valued Yoda-types behave in these manners:
- They WAIT for me to ask before offering their wisdom.
- They LISTEN to me before offering their wisdom.
- They READ me and my contexts before offering their wisdom.
- They FRAME their wisdom to me as a menu of options.
- They FORECAST with me the possible outcomes of those choices.
- They DO NOT JUDGE me on the difficult choices I've made after seeking their wisdom.
"Thanks" is usually the only pay my Yodas receive from me, yet they give freely and repeatedly. I can't imagine trying to navigate life and work without them.
Here it is again: THANKS! (They know who they are.)
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.