In electricity, resistors are components that limit or regulate the flow of electrical current.
In organizations life, resistors are often those folks who limit or regulate the flow of the effort/energy directed toward reform, improvement, or transformation.
Regardless of why the resistance is occurring, leaders are wise to deal with it in a straightforward way.
Here are some possible Resistor Responses:
- Put the issue into open dialogue in the organization. Overtly discuss the pros and cons.
- Keep the issue and the discussions around the issue about THE ISSUE (don't let it become about the personalities).
- Invite troubleshooting around the change effort, seeking suggestions for improvement in substance or deployment.
- Forecast publicly. What does the future look like if we keep doing the same thing? What might the future look like if we successfully embrace the proposed change?
- If this proposal for improvement is unacceptable or unworkable, what should we do instead to propel us toward improvement?