Some examples of problem recurrence?
- The cattle keep getting out.
- Inventory repeatedly misaligns with supply needs.
- The students keep failing the same subject.
- We can't keep our weight under control.
- Meetings seem perpetually unproductive.
Dealing with the ad hoc catastrophic - hurricanes, stock market crashes, sudden outbreaks of war - will always be mostly a reactive process. We repair that airplane while we're flying it, so to speak.
However, those pesky redundant problems, the recurring heartburn causers, are almost always the result of our failure to address the habits (either as individuals or organizations) that cause, or allow for, their perpetuation.
An honest assessment is always the precursor to an effective solution.