Wise leaders foster sustained and healthy energy flow (i.e., "fire") in these ways:
- Relentless focus on the MAIN THING (and purposeful de-emphasis of the non-).
- Communicating clearly, simply, and often - openness and full disclosure are a way of life.
- Creating a sense of community and care - untended fires fizzle out.
- Consistent adding of more fuel - steady flow of new learning, safety for risk-taking, support when a pilot project crashes, etc.
- Habitizing rituals - celebrations, recognitions, affirmations - always taking time to recognize and honor the good stuff and right-minded people.
- An unwavering messaging of getting better and doing better, for the good of all (not just the bottom line).
Strong leaders are both ignition catalyst for great organizational energy and fizzle-fighter-in-residence.
Light the fire, keep it burning.