- My parents taught me that I alone am responsible for my decisions/behavior.
- My teachers held me accountable for doing my own work.
- My coaches pushed me mentally, physically, emotionally beyond my perceived limits.
- My employers expected an honest day's work for a fair day's pay.
- My professors required me to think rather than just "show up."
- My valued peers modeled the "costs" associated with excellence.
- My mentors taught me the absolute necessity of self-discipline.
- My spiritual advisors impressed upon me the power of love, and forgiveness.
Everyone of those folks, in their own way, let me make some mistakes. They didn't knock me down themselves, but they were willing to let me get knocked down. And, they were always there to pick me up, dust me off, offer some guidance, then push me back into the fray.
I'm not yet as strong as I wanna be. But thanks to the folks above, I know the recipe.