What are some key concepts that leaders should keep in mind as they fashion their influential words? For your consideration:
- Be precise and be succinct. Much muddled mush obscures actionable meaning.
- Speak always in terms of we/us, not I/me.
- If you don't (or can't) mean the words, don't say them. Disingenuousness is easily detected.
- Connect with the audience, somehow; it is best done through stories.
- Be measured and calm in delivery. Bombast and emotion are discomforting.
- Lift up, don't tear down.
- Paint the picture of a better future.
Words wisely chosen can affect much good. (The converse is true as well.)