The best ones share some commonalities, though I'm pretty sure they didn't all exhibit these traits in a deliberate way. But exhibit them they did.
Here are some of those common learning catalysts:
- They fostered curiosity in me by modeling it.
- They let me know, in many ways, that they cared about me and about my learning.
- They watched over me during the learning process, but didn't coddle me.
- They asked really good questions (that couldn't be answered in a multiple-choice format).
- They allowed me to fail, but made it relatively safe to do so.
- They challenged me, through their words, through their actions, through the learning tasks they laid before me.
- They encouraged me and cheered me on.
- They somehow got me to connect the dots between the new learning and the old, and to ways that learning might transfer.
- They never gave up on me.
- They loved me (or, at least, they did a really good job of faking it).
Yep. This guy is one lucky lead learner.