In this David Brooks TED Talk some powerful points are made about why we live and what we choose to live for.
Some of my takeaways:
- When life becomes a “game” for us, we lose ourselves.
- Resume virtues = skills we bring to the marketplace.
- Eulogy virtues = who we are in our depth (love, consistency, boldness, etc.) and the quality of our relationships.
- Depth of character is constructed through fighting/wrestling with our “signature sin,” from which all the others emerge.
- We can only “save” ourselves by hope, by faith, by love, and by forgiveness.
- Resume virtues are focused on the short-term, self-centered rewards while eulogy virtues are focused on timeless, others-centric behaviors/thinking.
As I look inward I see that there's still quite a lot of work to do…
Thanks to Dr. DH and MB for pushing this video my way.