What are some reasons organizations (and people) try to keep secrets?
- Hide damaging information
- Maintain hierarchical privilege
- Mask inequitable decisions
- Protect perceived advantage
- Fear of dissent and debate
- Protect turf
The damage done when organizations (and people) try to keep secrets?
- Fosters lack of trust
- Drains precious human/organizational energy
- Distracts from the primary mission(s)
- Causes inertia among the troops
- Creates uncertainty in decision making
- Promotes risk aversion
- Inculcates isolationism
- Incubates fear
When you look at those two lists (which are not exhaustive, by any means), it's hard to come to the conclusion that secret-keeping serves a useful purpose - that is, IF...
are elements of your aspired culture.
My vote goes to Transparency and Full Disclosure. Even when it hurts.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.