Meetings often generate negative vibes, if not outright dread. Poorly structured and managed meetings do so on steroids. When meetings become mindless wastes of time, producing nothing in the way of positive momentum toward our goals, then it's time to re-think and re-structure them.
Consider refashioning the meetings you are compelled to participate in thus:
- NO agenda item makes it onto the page that is not directly connected to espoused goals. None.
- Every meeting begins with kudos specific to movement toward espoused goals.
- DATA of some kind is the required premise for discussion and action items. Pontification and dodging are not allowed.
- Everyone at the meeting is required to speak/participate. Hiders are uninvited.
- The meetings start on time and end on time (or before). Dishonoring of others' time is one of the most disrespectful and de-energizing acts that can be committed.
- Homework assignments are clearly stated, put into writing, and subsequently viewable/reviewable by ALL after the meeting ends.
- Respectfulness is required toward and from everyone. Violations are noted by the chair, and violators are excused from the team (not just the meeting).
Something to think about.....................before your next meeting.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.