- Maintain and secure their position of leadership.
- Make their personal lives cheesier (no matter the impact on others).
The leaders I prefer to follow (and admire and support and emulate) operate from a completely different paradigm. They communicate, make decisions, and commit acts consistent with their principles, regardless of trending sentiment, regardless of short-term advantage, regardless of poll data.
Those principles can come in a lot of packages and can be articulated in many ways, but here are just a few worthy examples:
- WE are more important than I am.
- The least of us is just as important as the greatest of us.
- What we say/do/decide today should provide positive outcomes for future generations.
- Truth must always trump dishonesty.
Leading from sound principles is very much like the root system of a mighty tree - it secures us, it feeds us, it grounds us, it bolsters us in the angriest of storms.