You know them, you interact with them, you watch them, and in most cases you ARE them, in one form or another.
Of the best leader types I know, here are some of the common manifestations/behaviors I see (and admire) in them:
- Slow to anger.
- Listen before they speak.
- Keep their eye on the BIG picture.
- Treat EVERYONE with respect (including waitresses, cab drivers, and custodians).
- Have spines made of steel (they honor their commitments/responsibilities relentlessly).
- Have strong wills but soft hearts.
- Constantly seek to serve others, somehow, some way.
- Fundamentally modest and self-deprecating.
- Seek solutions that benefit all (rather than win-lose solutions).
- Voracious learners.
- Givers, not takers.
- Exhibit vulnerability and practice total transparency.
What a list!
Seems I've got some work to do on my leader type skills. (How about you?)