Two of the hallmarks of exemplary leadership are Vulnerability and Transparency.
Being Vulnerable as leaders does not make us "wobbly" (to channel Margaret Thatcher). On the contrary, it positions us to more authentically engage with both our internal and external stakeholders.
Vulnerable Leaders look/feel/sound like this:
- They openly share what they DON'T know, expressing a deep desire to learn more (from whomever and wherever that learning can emerge).
- They know they can't do it all, and thus, freely ask for help from others.
- They LEARN constantly, which signals to others that continual learning is both OK and an expectation.
- They model that leadership compels one to be a servant, not a master.
- They emanate the understanding that we are all intertwined and interdependent on one another.