Research indicates that one of the most powerful "attractors," and most persistent "repellants" in our workplaces is the quality and behavior of the folks leading the organization.
Here's a wish list (what we'd like Santa to bring us) for organizational leaders to consider:
- Show a little energy and enthusiasm. We know your job is hard, but...........so is ours.
- Hand out "thanks" and praise a little more generously. It's like a stimulant (but legal).
- Engage with us, talk to (not at) us, provide evidence that you're noticing.
- Celebrate and suffer with us a little more freely. Make us feel like you really care, and that we're teammates with you.
- Keep reminding us of where we're going, and WHY we're going there. Knowing the direction makes all the difference in the world in how we approach the journey.
- Provide us with some consistent feedback, benchmarking, and guideposting. It helps to know how "we're doing" (gently, of course).