Getting better. Every day. On purpose. That could be a tattoo for the continuous improvement mindset.
Why would betterness not be a goal for each of us, both in our personal lives and in the organizations we belong to?
Betterness is a discipline, the direct result of deliberate habit formation.
What do some of those powerful habits of betterness look like?
- Caring -- It's absolutely OK to care, and to show it. We can make it a habit to demonstrate care for others.
- Alertness -- Observe, pay attention, listen, ask questions, assess.............on continuous loop.
- Target Fixation -- Be perfectly clear about the BIG picture outcomes we seek, and speak to others with intent to clarify that picture for them, too.
- Stop-N-Start -- We can make it a habit to stop doing stuff that does not directly contribute toward our goals, and to start doing those that do. Status quo is an illusion.
- Modeling -- No teaching tool is more effective than modeling. If we can't model it, we can't demand it. If we don't model it, we are not serious about it.
- Refresh -- Each day is a new day. We can start anew each day. Actually, we can start anew each minute.