Leadership, rather, is a contact sport which requires LIFE.
Some leaders try to insulate themselves from the potential negative consequences associated with living boldly by:
- Distancing themselves from bad news.
- Placing layers upon layers of bureaucracy between themselves and customers.
- Talking persistently in bland and diluted platitudes.
- Avoiding ownership in decisions.
- Scapegoating anyone or everyone else when things go badly.
Some of the best and wisest leaders I know, however, breathe LIFE into their work and the work of those around them in these ways:
- They boldly lean into rather than away from a vision of a better future for all.
- They notice and acknowledge the hard and risky work of those who "lean into" that vision with them.
- They focus intently on what's going right and only spend time on what's going wrong in the interest of righting it.
- They talk continuously in ways that make those around them feel emboldened, supported, and energized as they stay in the fight for betterness.
Statues need not apply.