What made those leaders exemplars of the art of moving others? Here are some of the commonalities:
- They chose to have real, meaningful, caring relationships with me. They knew me, were willing to spend time with me, and invested themselves in my growth.
- They asked a lot of good questions (and VERY rarely played the directive trump card).
- They envisioned a big, better, bountiful future, and gave me lots of autonomy in the dispatch of my duties in moving us toward that future.
- They noticed EVERYTHING and relentlessly took opportunity to recognize and express appreciation for things done well and right.
- They were deferential to a fault, consistently directing praise toward others (and absorbing more than their own share of the blame when things went awry).
- They exuded positivity, even on the darkest of days.
- They seemed always to be looking for ways to serve others.
What a blessing to have worked for, labored with, learned from, and grown with those powerful exemplars of leadership.