Leaders too often run themselves off the tracks, by committing some very avoidable mistakes. Here are some of the errors that regularly result in leadership train wrecks (the figurative kind):
- We fail to notice, acknowledge, and enlist the many contributions/gifts of others.
- We get so busy doing stuff that we neglect the necessary act of reflection.
- We allow the pressure to cause us to quit being ourselves.
- We try to diagnose and solve the problems by ourselves.
- We think and act as if the rules don't apply to us, too.
- We neglect to build adaptability into our plans.
- We drift into the mindset that it's all about me.
- We spend more time talking than listening.
- We perseverate on the wrong metrics.
Notice that all the items in the list above are well within our power to control.