Our best team members -- regardless of skills, intelligence, or motivations -- often end up in the weeds (or headed that way). The best leaders I know are masters at Weed Mitigation.
What do those wise leaders do to help us all stay out of the weeds? Here are some examples of their work in that regard...
- They keep us hyper-focused on the BIG PICTURE stuff. They constantly explain and communicate that BIG PICTURE and help us channel our time, attention, and effort in that direction.
- They put systems in place that are aligned to that BIG PICTURE. Stuff that ain't....goes. They seek out and happily remove distractions, trivialities, and redundancies in the workflow.
- They paint that BIG PICTURE and monitor the progress, but stay out of the way of those who are diligently pursuing it.
- They coach people...UP (for those who embrace the BIG PICTURE) or OUT (for those who don't/won't).
- They connect the team, across divisions and functions, internally, and with valuable resources externally.