Disclaimer: It is generally easier to ignore or hide from the truth, than to seek it.
Leaders need to know the truth (whether they acknowledge it or not). Only when we know the truth can sound decisions be made and solid directions be charted.
How can leaders encourage and ensure truth speaking?
- Speak it ourselves - modeling.
- Ask for it, often, up and down the organization, from both internal and external customers.
- LISTEN actively as the truth comes in response to our inquiries.
- Thank the truth tellers, even when their truth-speaking hurts.
- Make it safe, as a cultural norm, to tell the truth.
- Use the truth to get better, overtly and consistently.
If we don't actively seek the truth, we are likely not to hear it.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.