I recently read The Beauty Underneath the Struggle: Creating Your BUS Story, by Niki Spears (2020).
NS was a student of mine when I taught in the UT Austin Principalship Program several years ago. She has learned to leverage her many and significant gifts to make the world a better place. This book is evidence of her impact on others.
My top takeaways:
- We are the editors of our own lives, with not so much power to re-write or undo the previously “published” part, but GREAT latitude in writing the next chapters.
- FEAR is the premier disabler of progress and prosperity.
- The most meaningful rewards come with significant risk.
- Practicing gratefulness pays dividends both inwardly and outwardly.
- We are wise to protect ourselves from low-level conversations.
- Choosing an positive attitude is a superbly healthy practice, and it makes us more attractive companions to others.
Some of my favorite quotes:
“Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” – Louis L’Amour. (p. 7)
“Don’t believe everything you think.” (p. 67)
“Nothing different will happen in your life unless you’re willing to do something different.” (p. 132)
"S versus S. Is this choice serving me or stopping me?" (p. 135)
This book serves as a wonderful reminder that WE are editing our lives, daily writing the script for that which is to come. We are editors, not victims.