What can toughness look like? Here are some examples:
- Saying "no" when you'd prefer to say "yes" (and vice versa).
- Shouldering the blame to protect valued others and their good work.
- Ignoring a rule/law/protocol and being willing to defend that act.
- Insisting that people come before structure(s), foibles and all.
- Sticking to principle even if it means losing friends, employees, jobs.
- Listening attentively even when it's hard to hear merit in the talk.
- Letting right-minded others make some (non-fatal) mistakes, even if you know a "better" way.
- Forgiving, even when it's the last thing you want to do.
Leadership is no job for sissies or the wobbly. Only the tough need apply.