1) What are our highest aspirations for our students?
2) With those aspirations in mind, what do we think a Guthrie graduate should “look like”? 3) How well are we “aligned” to ensure that our students succeed? 4) How can/will we know if we’re fulfilling our dreams for our students?
Those conversations have resulted in rich and meaningful conversations about what is best for our students and their future. Not surprisingly, the GCSD community aspires for much more for our children than a future as academics and technicians. Rather, a comprehensive and holistic vision of competence and skills has emerged. We call that vision the Guthrie Graduate Profile.
Guthrie Graduate Profile
Learners/Problem Solvers/Critical ThinkersGuthrie graduates are/can/have:
- Creative and entrepreneurial in crafting innovative solutions
- Investigate, analyze, organize information and discern truth
- Open-minded, curious, and risk-taking
- Academically capable
- Reflective, self-directed, and adaptable
- Confident and self-secure
- Communicate in an articulate, effective, and efficient manner
- Critical listeners
- Communicate by use of advancing technologies
- Healthy habits and lifestyles
- Persevering toward achieving personal goals
- Honest and trustworthy
- Assertive and competitive
- Self-aware and self-managing
- Work collaboratively with persons of different beliefs, interests, backgrounds, and cultures
- Engaged and accountable
- Authentic and transparent
- Effectively use tools and technology for collaboration
- Socially responsible
- Knowledgeable participants in the democratic process
- Courteous and respectful toward others/differences
- Contributors of their energy/time/talent in service to others and their community
We will continue to "polish" this vision with further conversations, but we believe we are beginning to see a clearer picture of what we intend to develop in each of our students as they move through the GCSD school system. In addition, we will now begin conversations about how to ensure that the development of those skills and competencies occur, rather than simply wishing or hoping for for those outcomes.
No doubt, the work will be challenging. However, our goal is to provide our children with nothing less than the finest education on the planet, with the end result being the development of some of the most capable people on the planet.